Monday, November 5, 2007

Baby colic

One evening when I was busy with my laptop, my baby started crying unlimitedly. My mom tried to pacify her, but in vain. I tried my level best to calm her. I tried to feed her. Though she was taking milk, I could find that she was not hungry. But, something was troubling her ----like hell. Colic is a condition when a baby (otherwise healthy cries for more than 3 hrs usually in the evenings. This is observed even when a baby is perfectly normal. They move their hands and legs inwards and outwards and cry very heavily. They may turn red. Colic disappears on its own usually after the baby is three months old.
Researchers are not still clear about the reasons of colic. Most important thing is that it is not caused by you. So, do not feel guilty. Colic affects about 20% of babies.
Some ways of soothing a colicky baby are:
1) Sing a lullaby.
2) Keep your baby close to your heart and baby walk.
3) Take her out for a car drive.
4) Make her lay on her stomach.
5) Put her in a cradle and swing her.
6) Rock the baby.
Some recommended ways for lessening colic are:
1) Feed your baby often(within 2hrs span).
2) Burp the baby properly.
3) Avoid eating spicy foods if you are breast feeding .
4) If you are bottle feeding, avoid gas entry into the baby’s mouth.


There is no method to detect if the baby has colic. But your doctor may suggest some good tips to deal with your colicky baby. My doctor advised me oral colimex drops. But I didn’t have to use them as her colic had gone. Also some colic ease gripe water is available. But I am not sure how they work.
Remember that colic is not a disease and will subside on its own when the baby is 3 or 4 months old. Do not show your anxiety to your baby as babies can grasp your expression from their 7th week itself and they can be more frightened.
I request the readers to contribute their experiences with colicky baby and how they used to soothe them for the benefit of other mothers. These may or may not work for other babies, but if lucky they might.

No comments:

Blog Search Engine